Should I buy a seasons pass at the early-bird rate?

If you’re planning to ski or snowboard this season regardless of whether you’re working on the mountain then YES! If you do get a job with us we will REFUND the full price of the pass if you haven’t used it. If you have used it before starting employment then we can partially refund the cost determined and pro-rated by the number of days used.

Will I need a New Zealand Bank Account?

Yes you do. We also suggest that all employees try to arrange their New Zealand bank accounts before coming to work at Mt Ruapehu, and as soon as you arrive in New Zealand. The major cities are normally the best place to get them, but we also have a few locally based facilities. Kiwibank is the only bank located in Ohakune.

Please note you will need a bank account prior to applying for your IRD number. If you have previously worked or lived overseas you will need to provide the bank with details of your tax number and or identification numbers for the relevant countries.

What is an IRD Number and where can I get one from?

Your Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number is your tax file number. You’ll need this number in order to get paid. So it’s pretty important! You can apply for your IRD number online once you have your bank account details. Please visit for further details.

How do I get to National Park or Ohakune?

If you don’t have access to a car then bus and train services stop in Ohakune and National Park, travelling from both Auckland and Wellington. Refer to (bus) and (train) for timetable information. Train services can be limited depending on the time of year.

What uniform will I get?

All staff are supplied with a uniform to suit the requirements of their particular job. Because we work in an alpine environment we suggest all staff bring a pair of appropriate shoes for being outside and in the elements. This includes indoor staff that may be asked to help outdoors and will need to walk around the ski areas. Staff will need to supply their own under layers such as thermal underwear and socks. We have Icebreaker items available at a discounted price. Ski and Snowboard Instructors, Ski Patrollers and Trail Safety Crew/Terrain Park Crew, must also supply their own ski/board equipment. Allowances are paid in addition to wages to contribute towards the extra cost of these items. Uniforms are supplied for the duration of employment only and must be returned when employment ceases. 

What happens if I have an accident? Accident Cover (ACC)

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) currently administers New Zealand’s accident compensation scheme, which provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. In return people do not have the right to sue for personal injury, other than for exemplary damages.

We do recommend, however, that you take out personal property insurance from your country of residence. For more information go to the ACC Website

What hours of work can I expect? 

Most positions start at the end of June and/or beginning of July with an initial finish date of mid October. These dates are very much dependent on snow levels, however, and there are instances where employment will continue into late October/early November or finish earlier than planned.   

Hours of work can vary depending on snow levels, weather, department, and business demand. Sometimes this means you might get short notice of the requirement to work or when we are closed but we try our best to let you know as soon as possible. School Holidays and weekends are our busiest periods so be prepared to work hard when the hours are available and take time to enjoy the maunga when we’re a little quieter. 

We pay fortnightly so we suggest that you bring enough money with you to get through the first month.

Is there staff training & development?

In order for all staff to perform their roles to the fullest potential and meet the needs and expectations of the company and guests, every employee will participate in an induction and a training program at the start of their employment. The program includes in-depth training on company policies, guest service, mountain awareness, health and safety and specific skills required for each role.

How will I get to work?

For staff working at Tūroa, free transport is provided for all staff on duty. It runs from Ohakune to the base of the Tūroa ski area at the beginning and end of each day.

For staff working at Whakapapa, free transport is provided for all staff on duty. It runs from National Park, through Whakapapa Village to the base of the Whakapapa ski area.

You are allowed to ride the off-peak buses on your days off if there is room. A charge may be applied on days off during peak periods.

How will I find out what’s happening and other information about my employment? 

Once you’ve been offered a role with us and accepted, you will be able to access our Staff Hub Pipelines. Pipelines contains a range of information about working with us as well as local information that includes accommodation, transport and much more. We also send out a staff E-News once a fortnight during the season to provide updates with what’s happening. 

Staff policies can also be found on Pipelines and should be read prior to starting employment.

Where will I live? – Accommodation

Ruapehu Alpine lifts has limited Staff accommodation located in the Whakapapa Village for Whakapapa staff. Details on how to access potential accommodation on offer around Ohakune, Rangataua, National Park, Raurimu or Whakapapa Village will be provided to successful applicants via our staff only website. We try to connect as many of our team with available accommodation in the region and these will be on Pipelines.

To have a look at the different accommodation options available, check out these links.