About Mt Ruapehu
- Location: Mt Ruapehu is the highest peak in the North Island of New Zealand. Whakapapa and Turoa ski areas are owned and operated by Ruapehu Alpine Lfts Ltd (RAL) and are situated on the north-western and southern slopes of Mt Ruapehu. The area covers 1,500 hectares of skiable terrain. Check out our website for more info.
- Season: The winter operating season typically runs from late June until mid October, with some seasons extending into November. A summer sightseeing and guiding operation is run between December and April.
- Staff: RAL caters for around 400,000 skier and snowboarder visits each year and employs around 60 permanent staff and up to 750 staff for the winter operation.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable, customer-loving and upbeat employees who understand what it means to have each other’s backs! Some would say that working at RAL is not for the faint hearted, having some of the most gnarly terrain in NZ – looking out for your mates is key.
As a large tourism operator, there are approximately 60 different job descriptions within the organisation ranging from permanent full time to seasonal positions. Of all the varied skills and personalities these jobs encompass, the common attributes of all our employees are the following:
- A willingness to get on with others and create fun for customers and other staff
- A willingness to work in a team situation to achieve a common goal
- A professional attitude towards work (reliable, hard working and tidy in appearance)
You may still be in school, a tertiary student, or a person looking for a career – we welcome applications from anybody who is motivated and enjoys a challenge.
What’s in it for you?
Apart from having loads of fun and making friends for life, working for Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (RAL) enables you to receive some discounted and free stuff while working here!
- Free Season Pass for Whakapapa and Turoa Ski Areas
- Free Beginner and Intermediate Snow School group lessons
- Food & beverage discounts in the mountain’s cafes
- Discount in the Vertical Retail Stores on the mountain
- Discounted equipment hire and servicing
All staff are supplied with a uniform to suit the requirements of their particular job. Staff working outdoors will be provided with the appropriate footwear required for their particular role, however we do suggest considering bringing your own pair of appropriate shoes for getting out and about in your own time. Staff will need to supply their own under layers such as thermal underwear and socks. We have Icebreaker items available from Human Resources at a discounted price. Ski and Snowboard Instructors, Ski Patrollers and Trail Safety Crew/Terrain Park Crew, must also supply their own ski/board equipment. Allowances are paid as a part of the wage to contribute towards the extra cost of these items. Uniforms are supplied for the duration of employment only and must be returned when employment ceases.
Accident Cover (ACC)
The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) currently administers New Zealand’s accident compensation scheme, which provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. In return people do not have the right to sue for personal injury, other than for exemplary damages.
We do recommend, however, that you take out personal property insurance from your country of residence. For more information go to the ACC Website
Duration & Hours of Work
Most positions start in the end of June and/or beginning of July with an initial finish date of mid October. These dates are very much dependent on snow levels, however, and there are instances where employment will continue into late October/early November.
Pay – Fortnightly
Hours of work can vary depending on snow levels, weather, department, and business demand. Sometimes this means you might get short notice of the requirement to work or when we are closed but we try our best to let you know as soon as possible. School Holidays and weekends are our busiest periods so be prepared to work hard when the hours are available and take time to enjoy the maunga when we’re a little quieter.
Staff Training & Development
In order for all staff to perform their roles to the fullest potential and meet the needs and expectations of the company and guests, every employee will participate in an induction and a training program at the start of their employment. The program includes in-depth training on company policies, customer service, mountain awareness, health and safety and specific skills required for each role.
For staff working at Turoa, free transport is provided for all staff on duty. It runs from Ohakune to the base of the Turoa ski area at the beginning and end of each day.
For staff working at Whakapapa, free transport is provided for all staff on duty. It runs from National Park, through Whakapapa Village to the base of the Whakapapa ski area.
You are allowed to ride the off-peak buses on your days off if there is room. A charge may be applied on days off during peak periods.
Ruapehu Alpine lifts has limited Staff accommodation located in the Whakapapa Village for Whakapapa staff and Ohakune for Turoa Staff. Details on how to access potential accommodation on offer around Ohakune, Rangataua, National Park, Raurimu or Whakapapa Village will be provided to successful applicants via our staff only website.
To have a look at the different accommodation options available, check out these links.