About Mt Ruapehu
- Location: Mt Ruapehu is the highest peak in the North Island of New Zealand. Whakapapa and Tūroa ski areas are owned and operated by Ruapehu Alpine Lfts Ltd – Administrators Appointed (RAL) and are situated on the north-western and southern slopes of Mt Ruapehu. The area covers 1,500 hectares of skiable terrain. Check out our website for more info.
- Season: The winter operating season typically runs from late June until mid October, with some seasons extending into November. A summer sightseeing and guiding operation is run between December and April at Whakapapa.
- Staff: RAL caters for around 400,000 skier and snowboarder visits each year and employs around 60 permanent staff and up to 750 staff for the winter operation.
The maunga (mountain), particularly its peaks, have strong spiritual links for local iwi. You may hear local people refer to the maunga as Koro (grandad) Ruapehu.
At Our Peak is our internal and external commitment to caring for people and place. It leads eith our guiding principle – Mana of the Maunga. It strengthens our values: Manaakitanga, Kaitiakitanga, and Kotahitanga, signals the constructive behaviours to uphold, and consolidates our initiatives. It drives our strategy, our purpose of delivering inspiring, empowering, and exceptional experiences – as New Zealand’s Peak Adventure.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable, guest focused and upbeat employees who understand what it means to trust one another and create a sense of belonging and connection. Some would say that working at RAL is not for the faint hearted, having some of the most gnarly terrain in NZ – looking out for your whānau is key.
As a large tourism operator, there are approximately 60 different job descriptions within the organisation ranging from permanent full time to seasonal positions. Of all the varied skills and personalities these jobs encompass, the common attributes of all our employees are the following:
- A willingness to get on with others and deliver a unique, generous and caring welcome to all manuhiri (visitors)
- A willingness to work in a team, to share your passion for the place with others
- A professional attitude towards work embracing excellence in all that you do
- A commitment to the Tiaki Promise (Care for New Zealand) and the Te Ao Māori (Māori workd view)
- A personal responsibility for your own actions and supporting others
You may still be in school, a tertiary student, or a person looking for a career – we welcome applications from anybody who is motivated and enjoys a challenge.
What’s in it for you?
Apart from having loads of fun and making friends for life, working for Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (RAL) enables you to receive some discounted and free stuff while working here!
- Free Season Pass for Whakapapa and Tūroa Ski Areas
- Free Beginner and Intermediate Snow School group lessons
- Food & beverage discounts in the mountain’s cafes
- Discount in the Vertical Retail Stores on the mountain
- Discounted equipment hire and servicing
- Staff pricing at the Medical Centre Staff Clinics
Aside from the discounts and perks of being one of the whānau, your wellbeing while you are with us is a priority. We have a range of wellbeing resources including an employee care programme, an in-house social worker, team activities, and learning opportunities that contribute to the experience of working at RAL and making it a positive experience.
We also have reciprocal arrangements with other businesses external to RAL that provide discounts to our team.
John Fisk and Richard Nacey were appointed joint and several Voluntary Administrators of the Company on 11 October 2022 pursuant to section 239I of the Companies Act 1993.
Please refer to PwC’s website for further details.